The best way to get an internship is to start your search early, use your network, and do your research.
1. Start your search early The sooner you start looking for an internship, the better your chances of finding one. Start your search at least six months before you want to begin your internship.
2. Use your network Talk to your parents, teachers, and friends to see if they know of any internships that would be a good fit for you.
3. Do your research Research companies that you’re interested in interning for. Find out as much as you can about their internship programs and what they’re looking for in an intern.
4. Tailor your resume Make sure your resume and cover letter are specific to the internship you’re applying for. Show the company why you’re a good fit for the internship
5. Practice your interviewing skills You’ll likely have to interview for an internship, so it’s important to practiced your interviewing skills.
6. Follow up after your interview Once you’ve interviewed for an internship, follow up with the company. Send a thank-you note to the person you interviewed.
7. Be professional Remember that an internship is a professional opportunity. Dress and behave in a professional manner at all times.
8. Be flexible Be open to interning in different departments or doing different tasks than you originally anticipated. Be flexible and willing to learn new things.
9. Be positive No matter what tasks you’re assigned or how challenging the work is, always maintain a positive attitude. Be a team player and be willing to go above and beyond.
10. Keep your options open If you’re having trouble finding an internship, consider applying for other types of opportunities, such as volunteer positions or part-time jobs.
Click below to edit & download
Check our job-winning sample resume for your reference.
Check out related topics for more information.