The word barista is an Italian word which means ‘bartender’ in English. Barista is a renowned employee-run coffee shop, which has many branches worldwide and franchises to promote the brand. The finest beverages available at barista have made many fans so far. Barista deals in both hot beverages and cold alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages and not just deals in coffee only. Barista was first started in Norway and now it is found in all most all the countries. Barista involves various kinds of espresso machines and various kinds of automatic and semi-automatic machines that are not easy to work on.
There are also some manual machines in the shop which are controlled by employees that are hired by the barista team. Besides semi-automatic machines, where beans are crushed on pressing the lever, but the brew time has to be set by the employee and automatic where brew time is preset. There is also a super-automatic espresso machine where everything from grinding of beans to brew time setting is automated. Barista has many types of espresso on their lists like cappuccino, mochaccino, and latte.
To prepare these types one must know the latte art and various arts involved. The various bartending skills are involved in the field which is to be acquired before you get to work at the barista. The latte art is actually the various designs made on the espresso coffee to add to the presentation of the beverage. The espresso machine handling has got many steps like the grounding of the beans, tampering, and leveling. Any errors in these steps may lead to too bitter or too strong coffee, which affects the reputation of the brand. Therefore barista chooses its employees to be very perfect at their work.
Barista Skills and Qualification
The barista job description will provide you further information on skills, qualification and career growth in this profession.
Qualifications and expertise required
To become a barista employee, there is no such specific type of qualification but involves various skills, which are not easily approved by the barista team. A graduate in any stream or high school pass out can become an espresso handler at the barista. Usually, people with unique interests seek a career in barista and they have a special kind of passion to work for the barista. There are some skills which an individual should possess if seeking a career in barista which are mentioned below:
- Good handling- It is a kind of work that is directly related to the taste of people and for which they never compromise. So, the work must be done with good handling as any error can lead to distrust of customers.
- Better understanding- There are some complicated machines manual, semi-automatic, automatic and super-automatic which are too controlled efficiently by the employees
- Hard-working- The person working at barista must be hardworking and should be able to work under heavy workloads
- Good communication skills- The person working has to communicate with the esteemed customers who have a good image of a barista in their minds. So, it would be very disappointing if the communication skills of the employee are not good.
- High tolerance power- To handle customers is not an easy task and needs much tolerance in case of any conflict or fight by the customer
- Good presence of mind- The person seeking to become an employee of a barista must possess a good presence of mind and only with a sound mind, he will be able to work accurately. Any mistake in beverage making or customer service can lead to distrust of customer which is not good for barista’s reputation
- Positive attitude- The person seeking a job in a barista must have a positive mind and reply positively to all the queries of the customer. He must react positively in most negative situations at the store. This is good for the barista’s image.
Those seeking a career in barista can find a good career in the firm. It is one of the best brands in the world and working here is luck for many aspiring people. It may be very easy to work at other coffee shops or eatable points, but barista is somewhat very high and getting a job here is not easy. Only the best people get a job in a barista, because it involves many machines, which are not easy to understand and only the deserving ones having those skills, which are mentioned above can find a place here. The salaries have no bounds for the deserving ones and the employee finds a greater career at the barista. It not only adds to the finances, but the main thing is the name barista which gets added to your name and this is the best thing that can happen to one.