City Manager is an official who is appointed as the Administrative Manager by the city government. They are the responsible persons for that particular city. They supervise all day-to-day works of all departments of the city. It can be supervised directly or with the help of department heads.
They attend all council meetings but they don’t have any rights to voting. They are the main technical advisors to the council on overall governmental operations. They also do various duties like monitoring, submitting an annual budget of the city to higher authorities for approval, assigning budget work to department heads and some additional duties assigned by the council. These are involved in a city manager job description.
City Manager Qualification and Skills Required
- In early years of the profession most of the people come from engineering background but now preferable background and education for this job is Master’s degree in Public Administration (MPA).
- At least 7 years of experience is required as a departmental head in state government or as an assistant city manager.
- The minimum eligibility of marks is at least 50% in the MPA / MBA or any higher level degree.
Skills required by a City manager
the basic skills which are required to become a City Manager are:
- They should be down to earth persons so that they can understand the problems of common people.
- They should have leadership qualities so that they can directly or indirectly supervise various departments of the city.
- They should always look forward to developing their city and should be free from corruption.
A City Manager is very important for any city. It is one of the reputed posts in the country. Every city has its individual city manager. After serving as a city manager, one can also try their hand in civil services and other higher post-exams. The income of the city manager will be around $55,900.