The below written article give a brief over view of what the dean of students job description is.
The title named dean of students is given to a person who is the administrative officer; the in charge of the college, faculty and the branch in the university. Dean is responsible for overlooking non educational curriculum that is governed at the college for the students. The profile for the dean also covers the health services, student organizations and other social activities. The activities of the dean revolve around the requirements of the students making their college life comfortable in the college premises.
The student dean makes the management of all the main social activities taking place in the institution and the campus. They are also having the responsibility of looking at the safety and security, student housing, food service, student counseling etc. In short, it can be said that, they are the bridge between the students, alumni, parents and the management as the third parties are associated with the institution.
Roles and Responsibilities
Various tasks performed by a dean of students:
- They are required to assist the ruling body of the college in developing the concerned student’s policies.
- Job of maintaining the peace in the campus of the institution is the utmost job of the dean. He must enforce the rules that lead to violence on basis of religion, caste, creed, color or sexuality.
- They are having the duty of maintaining the law and order in the building by employing the security officers in the college premises and departments. He must inform the police in case of emergency or fight.
- Dean of the students is also obligatory to enhance the extracurricular activities in the students to have their all round development besides the studies.
- Dean of the students is also needed to help the president, principal and VC of the university regarding all the matters of the college.
Qualification and Skills Required
Education / Training:
Every profession demands certain pre-requisites for the position. People aspiring to become dean of students are essential to get the master’s or doctorate degree in certain specific specialization. However, they are also required to have teaching experience, as proper teaching experience will help to get the proper hold of the position in the college and the university.
According to the university norms, the aspirants interested to become dean of the students are required to have the proper degree of doctorate from some recognized college with also the several years of teaching experience in hand.
- Must be attentive enough to hear details properly.
- Effective decision-making ability is one of the pre-requisite of the student’s dean.
- Must have impeccable character and should be a good leader in all the fields of the administration.
- Strong communication skills.
- Flexibility to work in any environment.
- Fair coordination skills.
- Logical analysis of the problem should be another important skill of the dean.
The job outlook for the dean of the students is expected to rise by 20% in the years to come due to the expansion of the educational students in various places. However, the best job advancement is only for those people who will be having proper degree and experience of several years in the teaching services. Deans have the most paid salaries among all the educational positions.