This Driver job description gives the detailed explanation of the job profile of a driver. A driver provides transportation services or delivers products from one person or place to another. Drivers can be long-haul drivers of trucks, delivery drivers, chauffeurs or taxi drivers.
Roles and Responsibilities
Various tasks performed by a driver:
- Operating delivery vans, tractor-trailers, taxis, buses or private vehicles.
- Transporting the clients and delivering merchandise safely.
- Performing pre-trip inspection of vehicle to check its oil, gas, instruments, emergency and safety gears.
- Following road safety and traffic rules.
- Caring for and maintaining the vehicle.
- Taking the vehicle to the garage for repairing and maintenance.
- Assisting clients in entering and exiting from the vehicle.
- Receiving directions and route assignments given by the dispatcher.
- Some drivers need to maintain records like mileage, purpose of trip, number of stops, number of daily passengers, etc
Qualification and Skills Required
- Drivers need to have basic reading, writing and mathematical skills.
- They should be above 18 years in age (21 years for interstate driving) and have a valid driving license.
- The driving license differs for different sorts of drivers.
- Chauffeurs or taxi drivers need to have a ‘hack license’ which varies from state to state.
- Tractor or trailer drivers or drivers of vehicles carrying hazardous materials should possess a commercial driver’s license.
- Drivers should be mentally and physically fit to avoid incidences of accidents.
- They should be able to handle fatigue.
- Their working hours are generally long and very unpredictable.
- They should have the ability to carry out basic vehicle repairs.
- Drivers sometimes have to face highway robberies, so they should be strong-hearted.
- Job prospects for skilled and high-quality drivers are good.
- Those with experience on-the-road are much in demand.
- Drivers can work as a tractor-trailer drivers, a truck drivers (short haul or long haul), car/van driver, delivery driver, company driver or personal chauffeur.