Accounts payable clerk is the person who has the responsibility to maintain records of payments due to creditors. These records need the approval of Accounts payable manager before making the payments. An accounts payable clerk has to reconcile the expenses which have been approved before paying them off and it is his job to ensure that all payments are made in time. He has to perform all informational, record-keeping and secretarial duties assigned to him by the Payables manager.
Accounts Payable Clerk Responsibility:
- Providing administrative to facilitate efficient office operations.
- Maintaining a proper filing system to store the financial records of the company.
- Processing all accounts payables, bank transactions, and wire transfers.
- Thorough understanding of company billing procedures.
- Reviewing and verifying the authenticity of all the bills and invoices submitted.
- Reconciling purchase orders by coordinating with vendors and other service providers.
- Getting approvals from the manager or supervisor before making payments.
- Processing various forms related to taxation.
- Performing follow-ups for payable invoices that are pending approval.
- Making data entries to record all payment invoices.
- Maintaining the general ledger.
- Updating account payable lists and supplier files.
- Ensuring timely payment to all the company employees.
- Calculations of wages and salaries after verifying deductions, logging in the paychecks.
- Maintaining files of the casual employees of the company.
- Ensuring the confidentiality of all employee details and financial information of the company.
- Perform all other duties associated with the Accounting and Finance department of the company.
Accounts Payable Clerk Skills and Qualification:
- A diploma from high School or GED is required for this job.
- An associate degree in finance or accounting is beneficial.
- Some experience in general accounting procedures and accounts payable operations.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting software and basic computer operations is a must.
- The job of an accounts payable clerk requires good organizational and communication skills.
- Maintaining a professional relationship with everybody is necessary as the work involves close coordination with the other departments of the company.
- The person should have a cooperative attitude and team spirit.
- Problem-solving skills and ability to attend to details is a plus.
- With an increase in trade and business globally, the need for persons specializing in accountancy in also experiencing an upsurge.
- An accounts payable clerk can earn between $50,000 and $60,000 in a private firm. The expected salary in a non-profit organization is $45,000 to $55,000.A foundation or trust can offer $40,000 to $60,000.
- The BLS puts the average annual salary for this field at $42,000.
- The salaries vary according to the location of the company, its size, the candidate’s education level, and work experience.