The Job description of the director of photography will give a concise overview of the nature of work performed by the Director of Photography. The Director of Photography is also called a cinematographer and is responsible for planning, coordination, and direction of a motion picture films.
Roles and Responsibilities
Duties of Director of Photography
The director of photography has the following set of duties
- Reviewing of the set locations is the main duty of a Director of Photography.
- Deciding the elucidation of scenes and other preferred effects of the scenes also forms part of the duty of Director of Photography.
- To make drawings and find the lighting conditions are some of the other job duties of the Director of Photography.
The responsibilities of the Director of Photography have been listed below
- Selecting of film stock, cameras, determining the amount of light, shutter angle focus, and the different effects of lighting is the main responsibility of the director of photography.
- Coordinating with technical crew is one of the main responsibilities of director of photography.
- The Director of Photography is required to put together the video footage of the film.
- Select locations and designing the set for shooting on the selected place is the responsibility of the director of photography.
- The Director of Photography is to make sure that each shot provides the desired outcome.
- The Director of Photography is required to manage the set and change any setting if it is inappropriate.
Qualification and Skills Required
Credentials and Abilities Required
A Bachelor’s degree in Cinematography is required to become the Director of Photography.
A special training or internship is essential, which will give the required training in the different aspects of cinematography.
(1) A Director of Photography needs to have an imaginative bent of mind.
(2) Expert communication skills are required to convey messages to people.
(3) A Director of Photography needs to be a good leader as well as be able to work successfully as a team member.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the career opportunities for the Director of Photography is supposed to enhance by an amount of 7-14 percent until the year 2018.
A director of photography can climb the ladder of hierarchy by moving on to the job profiles of a director and filmmaker after acquiring the necessary qualifications and work experience.